Sunday, April 22, 2007

I've fallen behind...and I can't catch up!

Oh my, I am so far behind on posting pictures and my odd little comments. Sorry. I'm exhausted! Sooooo, where were we? Right, at a bike race.

Stage 5 started in Dalton, GA, home of Saul Raisin. The start was very well attended. Good to see, 'cause some of the other days have looked a bit thin. (Some of the race staff have looked a little nervous...) Last year when the tour rolled through, Saul was in the hospital struggling to survive a brain injury sustained during a race in Europe. This year he was the honorary lead-out man on a parade lap through Dalton--still tricked out in his Credit Agricole kit. (Funny side note--Saul just got engaged to Dave Zabriskie's sister, Aleeza. Can you imagine Dave Z. as a brother-in-law?) I'll post some start pictures when I get home.

I got stuck in traffic leaving Dalton, so was behind the race heading to Fort Mountain State Park. Drat! Some quick map-checking though, and I was able to catch the peloton as they turned up the road towards Brasstown Bald. I decided not to go to the top of the mountain this year. Would have meant getting up way to early, and I would have missed Saul, and it just didn't seem that it would be as much fun by myself. So, the photos I have are from the intersection of Routes 19 and 180. Beautiful spot. And, there was this funny little hunting/camping store there that had cold drinks. Woo hoo!!

The peloton kept on climbing, and Levi Leipheimer took the stage in a very strong finish. I can't wait to see the Vs. coverage of that climb, it sounds like it was great. For me, what followed was a long, long drive to Lake Lanier Islands. It was a beautiful drive, though, and went straight through some lovely stretches of the Chattahoochee National Forest.

Saturday's start was in Lake Lanier, so I was happy to be right down the street. I managed to find my way to a spot literally right at the start line. I had a very nice, brief, conversation with Tyler Hamilton, who was about six inches away from me as the race formed up to head out. Very cool. And some nice photos. Which you will see when I post them. Whenever that is....

And so, then there was today, the last stage--circuits in Downtown Atlanta. First, let me just say how truly beautiful Centennial Olympic Park is. There were kids all over the place--particularly in the fountains that are formed in the shape of the Olympic rings. The park is an easy walk from the Georgia Dome, the Georgia Aquarium (which we loved visiting last year!), and the CNN Center. Someday, when I'm not trying to follow a bike race, I hope to come back and spend some time in this city. (Maybe even to find a job here....)

After hanging out in front of the closed-up-tighter-than-Fort-Knox Discovery Channel bus, I decided to go find something more interesting to do. I know they are great riders, and I respect their talent, but the Discovery guys are so stingy with their fans. They dash out at the very last minute. Outside the other team vehicles I found lots of riders just casually hanging out. Had a nice exchange with Scotsman, David Millar and said hello to Dave Z. I also got a picture of Gilberto Simoni, former Giro winner. All just going about their work, not hiding behind closed doors and shaded windows.

I watched the first three circuits and then had to head out to the airport. The peloton was flying through the course! At one point I thought the voice on the loudspeaker sounded familiar, and when I listened closely, I realized that it was Floyd Landis! (Who should have been riding in this race...) As he left the announcers stage I got a photo and a signature from the Tour de France champion. Wow.

And so now I am finally on my way home. It has been a great trip, but too long away from my three boys. I understand that I am going home to new haircuts on all of them, but luckily not to a flooded house. I had some questions I wanted to ponder on this trip, and certainly the peace and quiet of being solo helped that project, but it's more fun with my boys.

I'll post photos tomorrow. Really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home