Monday, April 16, 2007

Tour de Georgia 2007

Welll, after battling a wicked rain storm in New Jersey, and dealing with the cranky folks at Delta Airlines, I am finally in Atlanta getting ready to head out for the start of the 2007 Tour de Georgia. This is my post-Easter recovery week, so I'm here for the duration of the race. Hooray!

For the first time ever, I am making this trek all alone. Malcolm and Max decided that they could not miss a week of school (clearly their father's influence--I am always ready to play hooky!) so Brook is at home with them. Funny--they actually got the day off today anyway because of the flooding in and around Princeton. So, I'm going to take in as much of the race as I can, armed with my laptop, camera, phone and GPS unit! Let's hope this year's model is more helpful than last year's, whose favorite phrase was "now exiting the service area."

Who is riding this year? Well, my man Floyd is not. In some sort of odd tribute/reminder of his situation, no one is wearing number one this year. (Traditionally, the previous year's winner wears 1, and each of his team mates the following numbers.) Tom Danielson, who came in second last year, is wearing number two, and the rest of the Disco boys follow along in turn. Hincapie, Leipheimer, McCartney are all rolling out. So is Dave Zabriskie for CSC, and Tyler Hamilton for Tinkoff. Yes, Tyler is riding. Not sure how I feel about that yet. A complete start list is here.

Atlanta is gorgeous today--sunny and very windy. The race starts in Peach Tree City which is about an hour south of here, then heads down to Macon. I'll try to post some photos tonight, if I shoot anything worth looking at...

Edited (4/23/07) to correct the statement that Jason McCartney took part in the race. He did not start because he was in the hospital with what would be diagnosed as viral meningitis. His folks came to stay with him (they thought they were coming to see him ride...) and he was on the team bus on Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home